Thursday 22 December 2011


#6


So monday 19th has now passed and after a couple of long journeys I have arrived back in Inverness, a much happier man it has to be said. There are several reasons for me feeling a bit happier, one of the reasons is over the weekend I got to spend some time with my family back in Middlesbrough and also I got to eat a Nandos which is my favourite food.(Nearest to Inverness is two and a half hours away)…First and foremost though the obvious reason is I had a meeting with a certain Mr Andy Williams my surgeon who is going to 'fix' me.! As I mentioned in previous posts I done a lot of research and talking to people to see who I could go to and each time Andy's name was top of the list and after meeting him I can easily see why.
The days leading upto the appointment were like I was living in the sub conscious. My body was in the room but my mind was elsewhere. Constantly thinking about my appointment. I had been told prior to going down that the appointment purely rested on wether or not my posterior cruciate ligament was badly damaged. The scan was inconclusive on the damage as can happen with a MRI. I knew that if the PCL was also damaged badly that it would complicate the injury even more and also the road back would be a much tougher and longer road back (not that it isn't already). The appointment was going to go one of two way.Option 1...I would be leaving the appointment with the positive news of my PCL still intact and I would have my brace on for 4-5 weeks until my operation. Option 2.....My PCL is also damaged badly and I would be going into surgery the very next day.
The morning of the appointment is a bit of a blur to be honest as I was just so focussed on the appointment. I got in the taxi with my wife and George her dad who were very kindly coming with me. Next stop The Fortius Clinic……..Walking into this beautiful big building I knew I was in a decent place and everything was so smooth and efficient. I head into Mr Williams office and immediately I am put at ease by the presence and aura of the man. My first thought was ' Atleast he is a good guy'…..!

We get the formalities out of the way and have a quick chat about family and obviously how my Injury happened and then it was the time for the real reason I'm here. The assessment....I laid there on the bed and all of a sudden it starts to sink in and I could feel a feeling of apprehension coming over me. 'Please god please make it be ok'……'Come on I'm due a break' ......'Come on knee be ok please be ok'…….As he starts the assessment he tests my right knee just to see how my body moves and also to see how my left knee should move, as everyone is different. Now onto the left…he goes through the different movements and really just clarifies what the scan has told us and now he is going to check my PCL..I'm a wreck inside but acting bravely on the outside as my wife and her dad are sat on the sofa watching me..He starts the movement and I don't really feel much and I don't know if thats a good or a bad thing but I'm thinking 'thats not too bad surely'  as I'm thinking that I see Andy nodding enthusiastically and then the words come out of his mouth "your PCL feels fine and thats great news"….BOOM….Instant relief and I turn to my wife and her Dad and also John the physio and give them a look and ruffle my cheeks as in to say "thank god for that" they give me the same look and expression back..what a feeling!! 
We spend another ten minutes or so talking about things and going over the scan and also Mr Williams telling me what he can do for different bits of the knee and I cant help but feel a buzz inside me. He is like a shining light at the end of a horrible week and his positivity and his knowledge of the knee is shining through. I cant believe I could leave that room so happy… but I did. I am not going to play again this season and until this week that would have killed me mentally but now just realising it's not all doom and gloom is amazing. I'm not kidding myself on here I know I still face months of hard work and gruelling rehab but until that appointment I didn't really realise how close you could come to it all being over……..

So thats me now until the 18th January in a brace and doing 'prehab' exercises which will prepare my knee for surgery and hopefully a better recovery. I have faced a tough couple of weeks personally and also my family have but we are over the negativity and gloom now and just focussed on my operation..the next step of 'Thefightback'!
I would just like to thank everyone for your support on this blog and on twitter and all other avenues in which I have received messages. It means so much to me and has helped in the darkest early days.


I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy Newyear

Enjoy x

thefightback@hotmail.co.uk

6 comments:

  1. great to see some light is shining at last for you and must be a huge relief to know that things are better than first thought. hopefully now you will be able to relax a little and enjoy a family Christmas without this hanging in your thoughts, you deserve a good time and hope you will enjoy it. look forward to reading more updates when they come

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant news, Chris. Would love to see you back in an ICT shirt, but it's terrific that you'll be playing again, wherever that is. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news ... an early and much welcome Christmas pressie for you and your family I am sure.

    First hurdle crossed, loads more to come undoubtedly, but at least you can (hopefully) enjoy Christmas with a smile on your face.

    Compliments of the season, and continued wishes for a full and speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news Chris, at least you can have a bit happier Christmas with your family.

    Happy Christmas and better New Year
    (From Singapore)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not checked in on you for a while! Great news from the surgeon indeed and a big relieve (in a way) for you. This must have made your Christmas a wee bit more comfortable. Best wishes to you as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the best for the op next month and hope to see you back in the team next season.

    ReplyDelete